Saturday, May 24, 2008

Wonder days

So totally was possibly one of the best days I've spent in New York.

I started by going up to the Bronx for work, which wasn't work at all, since we were having a garage sale. That was pretty slow so I met up with a new friend at Battery Park, joining him on his photo excursion. This was the first time I went to Battery Park, let along walked around in that area of Manhattan.

It was beautiful, and I have definitely been missing out on things by not adventuring in that area. It's sad to think that I have lived in New York for the better part of a year and have not explored certain neighborhoods. I guess it is something most New Yorkers take for granted because they think they can see it anytime.

So we walked from Battery Park to the South Street Seaport, which is another area of the city I haven't been to. Considering it was a nice spring Saturday evening, this area was crowded with tourists, which was okay with me, it felt very alive. The streets were beautiful cobble stone and everyone looked pleased to be there.

Finally we got near the Pier, and I saw Pier 17 which had been something I had eyed up from across the river in Brooklyn many times. I am pleased that I got to see it, and it one thing in New York I can't believe I never took the time to look at before. The pier reminded me of New Jersey, and it was a beautiful spring moment, and for a small moment I felt connected with the overcrowded city I often feel disconnected with.

From there I met up with Jenna, Josh and his sister near St Marks to get Burritoville. We then walked St Marks which was completely overcrowded with tourists. From there we headed to Little Italy since Josh's sister is in town from Michigan and has never been to New York.

I have to say, Little Italy certainly impressed me tonight. It went from Italy to Jersey Shore within a 3 block radius. Street vendors were selling typical Boardwalk food, and I felt like I was at home.

That was a wonderful way to end the night, that and Strawberry Cheesecake.

1 comment:

Kitty said...

summers are pretty nice in NYC, I have to say, and fortunately they last a while. You can be out at night til November these days.

Try to check out the summer parties they throw at PS1. There are these weekend things with fountains, perfect for sweltering days, and music. It's supposed to be a blast (sadly I haven't been, lol).